It had been about six months since I had made an apple pie. Delicious with ice cream, whipped cream or vanilla sauce. Or all three. Appeltaart (apple pie in Dutch) is the pride of the Netherlands and can be found in any (good) café. In my opinion, it is forbidden to eat the apple pie cold. It should be warmed in the oven, or at least at room temperature. Also delicious as a dessert!
♡ 200 grams soft butter (+ extra)
♡ 200 grams white sugar
♡ 1 sachet of 8 gram vanilla sugar
♡ Half a teaspoon ground cinnamon
♡ 400 self-rising flour
♡ Pinch of salt
♡ 1 egg
♡ 100 grams of sultanas (optional)
♡ 8 jonagold apples
♡ 100 grams of peeled walnuts
♡ 4 tbsp sugar
♡ 1 sachet vanilla sugar
♡ 3 teaspoons cinnamon
♡ a bit of rum (optional)
♡ 1 egg
♡ Mixer with dough hooks (can also be done by hand)
♡ Measuring cup
♡ Two big bowls
♡ Pastry brush
♡ Springform pan
♡ Knife to cut the apples
- Grease the springform pan(s) and preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the softened butter and brown caster sugar in a mixing bowl until combined.
- Add an egg, the flour and a pinch of salt to this mixture. You can knead the dough with your hands or with a mixer and dough hooks. Leave it in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Line the springform pan(s) with the dough. Make sure you have dough left over for the top.
- Cover the bottom(s) with breadcrumbs and put the spring form(s) back in the fridge.
- Soak the sultanas in water or a little rum. When they are sufficiently moist, you can pour off the water.
- Peel the apples and cut them into segments.
- Now put the apple, soaked sultanas, walnuts, sugar, vanilla sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Then spoon the filling into the springform pan.
- You can now spread the remaining dough on the top(s). You can roll out the dough with a rolling pin, cut out the strips and put them on the cake in the well-known diamond pattern. I added some extra flour to the dough and mixed it with the mixer. This gives you crumbs, like in apple crumble pie. This is optional.
- If you have not chosen the crumb topping, you can now brush the dough with a beaten egg. You do not need to brush the crumbs with egg.
- Bake the pie for about 60 minutes. The times can vary from oven to oven.
Buon appetito, rebel.